06 January, 2015

How To Make Homemade Chili Sauce A La Sriracha Sauce

Homemade Chili Sauce a la Sriracha Sauce


Sriracha Sauce is a hot chili sauce made from hot chilies or hot peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt. It is a sauce I have learned to like when I found it in a grocery shop where I go to and I got addicted to it ever since. This sauce is a bit pricey to my standard so I decided to recreate it. 

The bottled sauce was imported from Thailand and I learned from Wikipedia.org that the sauce was named after a coastal city in Eastern Thailand, Si Racha. 

It is recommended as a dipping sauce for seafoods, burgers, sausages and almost on anything needing a spicy touch. It is now my all- purpose hot sauce which is quite habit forming as a dipping sauce. It tastes hot, tangy with the sweetness of the brown sugar. The fermentation also added some level of appeal to its taste.

 I like it most as topping to steam buns, siomai, fried rice, noodles and soups, always a delicious addition gives more yumminess to foods every time. 

If you are a hot foods lover like me, here I am sharing my easy to make recipe of homemade chili sauce, in the style of Sriracha Sauce. 

Fresh Thai Chilies



Ingredients:

300 grams Thai red chilies, chopped
1 head garlic, peeled and crushed
8 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 Tablespoon sea salt
2 cups Coconut vinegar
2 cups water


Procedure:

Place chopped chilies, sea salt and water in a clean glass container, cover with cloth or paper towel and ferment for three days. 

Place the fermented chilies in a glass jar and puree them using a blender stick or use your desired blender method. I use stick blender in this recipe. Scrape the sides to be sure everything is evenly processed. 

Transfer mixture to a stainless pot, add coconut vinegar, brown sugar and crushed garlic, mix well to dissolve the sugar and bring to a boil, cook until the liquid is reduced to half, 12 to14 minutes. 

Strain the cooked chilies in a clean bowl, pushing the pepper bits as much as possible to get the most of the flesh and leave just the seeds and skins on the sieve. 

This is now the end result of my homemade hot chili sauce a la Tung Ot Sriracha from Thailand. 

Transfer to a clean hot sauce bottle, cover and store in the refrigerator if not using. 

Now I have 2 cups of my own style Sriracha Sauce. 

Share and Enjoy!



Always handle fresh chilies with care.

A big batch of homemade Hot Chili Sauce.


Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce.


A batch of homemade hot chili sauce.

A bottle of my own style homemade hot chili sauce.


Chili seeds and skins residue.
Tip: For the resulting chili seeds and skins, I do not dispose them because I dry them in my turbo oven until crispy dry and pound them fine in the mortar and pestle just like peppercorns to turn them into chili powder for sprinkling in other savory dishes that need extra hot spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like this post please share!