18 December, 2014

How To Cook Tuna Paella At Home

Home Made Tuna Paella


Many times I've seen tv commercials about San Marino Tuna Paella being endorsed by popular movie stars. I got curious I wondered how would it taste coming from a can, how would the rice feel in the mouth, the texture, what were the ingredients and the satisfaction factor. 

So I bought three cans when I went to a nearby grocery store which I kept in the pantry for a while, I almost forgot them. Eventually I tried one can, it opened easily with the easy open top and ate it right there in the can. I liked it, it was so tasty it had lots of tuna bits, some guisantes or matured greenpeas , a few carrots and orange in color. 

One thing I did not like with it was it was too oily, I got more than a tablespoon of oil in one can. The price made up for the defects because at thirty three pesos a can, I considered it cheap enough for its size, enough to fill a slightly hungry tummy, but not for me because I like paellas of any kind I wanted more portions. In short I finished the three cans I bought quite fast. 

The next time I went to the same store I got them, it was out-of-stock. The merchandiser said it was a fast moving item because students love them very much and so do the office and factory workers around the area. All you need is a plastic teaspoon to have a meal with canned Tuna Paella. So I was disappointed a bit, I decided to make my own from scratch. 

The result was delicious and much better tasting, less oily and same orange color - I cloned it! I was not bitin anymore, I think it's very healthy and it reheats well in a non-stick pan. I recommend you try this at home if you are a paella lover like me, this is how I cook my Tuna Paella at home. 


Ingredients

1 can Century Hot and Spicy Tuna, 420 grams, drain the liquid but set it aside
500 grams good quality malagkit rice or sweet rice
2 tablespoons oil or butter or margarine
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped finely
1 piece medium onion, chopped finely
1 piece carrot, small cubes
1 piece green pepper, inch squares
1 piece Knorr chicken cube
3 tablespoons Del Monte tomato paste
4 pieces small Purefoods meaty hotdog or chorizo or ham or spam, cubes


Procedure

Wash and cook the malagkit rice in the rice cooker just like plain rice, cool, air dry and set aside.

In a non-stick cooking pot saute in oil or margarine or butter the garlic, onions, carrots, sliced sausages, drained tuna and tomato paste. Stir to cook evenly for a minute. 

Add the liquid drained from the tuna, the Knorr cube and simmer until sauce is almost dry. 

Add the cooked malagkit and incorporate well with the sauteed vegetables and tuna. Stir until everything is well mixed and sauce is completely dry. Remove from heat.

Serve hot or cold, it tastes the same. 

It keeps well in the refrigerator and you can reheat a portion anytime in a non-stick sauce pan. 

You will not get tired eating it. Can also bring it to picnics.

Share and Enjoy! 




Spicy Tuna Paella



Reheated Spicy Tuna Paella



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like this post please share!